Friday, March 25, 2011

Lent (the Observance, not the gunk) and Housekeeping

Every year I give something up for Lent.  I'm going to be honest, usually it's more of a challenge for me than a deep spiritual thing, but I do usually "give up" the type of things one might give up for Lent.

Last year I disguised a new pregnancy by "giving up" all alcohol.  But I felt a need to truly give up something, so I also gave up fried foods and sweets.  I think giving up the fried food and sweets steered people away from my cover up.  Which (as far as I know) worked.

This year I gave up Facebook.  I was afraid my son was going to think back to his formative years and say "Oh, I can totally identify my mom.  Well, 3/4 of her face.  The other 1/4 was always covered by her iPhone."  So my account is deactivated.  I'm finding I have no time and no OUTLET for all the status updates that pop in my head each day.  I am really considering opening a Twitter account just to let all my thoughts out, but I'm pretty sure giving up one social networking site to join another also defeats the purpose of my challenge. 

So maybe I'll use this as my outlet start blogging more about stuff other than Drew.  Like housework.  Exciting, eh?

The other day I was cleaning out under my bed and pulled out my CaseLogic CD case that I have had since high school.  And thought "I've got time-- why not transfer all of these CDs over to iTunes so I'll have all my music in one place."

Y'all.

I had TERRIBLE taste in music in high school.  Rob would argue that it isn't much better now, but my choices then were iffy.  Here's a sampling of some of the gems I've found.


Pure Disco-- I will confess, the whole album was copied over to iTunes.  It's just generally solid, not-too-raunchy-or-profanity laced, non-children-specific music.  I can see it being way fun at a slumber party later when Drew gets older.  I will also confess that I have Pure Disco 2.


Ultimate Dance Party 1997- Ace of Base.  C'mon N' Ride It (The Train). Macarena.  Heaven to a 14 year old girl.


CenterStage Soundtrack- This CD was, obviously, a necessity.  How else was I supposed to practice all the dances that I memorized from watching and rewinding the movie thousands of times?


JLo- My saving grace here is that she is relevant again because of Idol.  None of her songs made it to my iPod, though.


Tim McGraw- The mullet.  The puffy sleeved shirt.  "Don't Take the Girl."  "Indian Outlaw."  Perfection in 1994.



Mariah Carey- I think I could still sing you every song on this CD.  And I might, because I copied the entire thing over to iTunes.  Some CDs are destined to be classics, even if only in my mind.

(Disclaimer- There was some good music to be found in my collection, but it's much less of an entertaining read.  So we'll go with 80% junk, 20% good.  I'll embrace it.)

3 comments:

the blogivers said...

I would just like to argue that your taste in music is/was AWESOME, because it was very similar to mine :) It's always fun to go through old c.d. collections!

These Lees said...

I gave up facebook a year ago and I have never looked back!

Classic CDs - I loved that Mariah Carey album!

lemon897 said...

Linds - love reading your blog. Drew's adorable.
Re: this post - how else were we supposed to come up with Newbie dance moves without terrible music. I cringe when I see some of these cd's and then start the routine, of course. :-)