Monday, April 4, 2011

Mommy Milestone

While Drew has been doing great hitting his milestones, mom hasn't been doing so well with hers.  Until late last month Rob and I hadn't left Drew with anyone who wasn't a blood relative.

It wasn't an overwhelming fear of leaving him with someone that wasn't a grandparent, but I don't KNOW anyone in Austin.  He is still young enough that I would prefer someone stay with him who isn't in high school, so that makes it even harder.  I've gotten the names of several nannies, but the ones I have talked to (who nanny 40 hours a week) don't have any interest in babysitting in the evenings.  So Rob and I had just been taking turns staying home with him, and/or asking our parents to watch him when we needed to go someplace together.

But it was time.  Last Sunday, March 27th, Rob and I showed up at church 20 minutes early to figure out how to leave our baby in the nursery.  After giving them basic information and getting a sticker for EVERYTHING and EVERYONE (Sticker to identify him, sticker to identify his bag, stickers for both Rob and I to tie us to him), we handed him over the 1/2 door and walked away.

And then I ran back to tell the ladies that he had a pacifier in his diaper bag if he needed it.

And then I really left.

And when we came back an hour later, he was perfectly happy (if not tired, since I think he spent the entire hour watching the other babies).

So we tempted fate and tried it again this weekend.

AND HE WAS FINE.

So ok.  It's only been 2 hours total and it wasn't one on one and it wasn't some hot date, but hey-- I don't ask my son to walk before he crawls, so I think my baby steps are just fine, thankyouverymuch.

Here is the little man on his way to church. Too bad I didn't check the weather before I left. It was way too cold for the shorts.  Whoops.

1 comment:

Courtney Squillante said...

Congrats!! That's a HUGE step! I MIGHT have teared up a little when I left Jay for the first time... And I MIGHT have restrained myself from checking in on him 50 times.... Ahhhh, parenting :)