Of all the domestic chores in the world, I most despise going to the grocery. I would rather wash, dry, iron and fold the entire 4 season wardrobe of every member of my family daily than go to the grocery store each week.
When we were DINKS, Rob and I went to the grocery store at the exact same time half world had time to go--- Sunday afternoon. We would wander through the store with all the other dapper looking families fresh from church. On more than one occasion we had our choice of limp asparagus or slightly-off-colored broccoli. I would spend a week without cereal because there were approximately 15 families on the cereal aisle debating beteween Life and Cheerios and there was no space for me. All sorts of fun.
We finally would gather our 24 items and would begin applying our algorithmm to the check out lane tango-- trying to find the fastest looking checker with the shortest line and with the patrons who used the handy dandy labelers in the produce section. Clearly we needed another algorthm because it never failed that we ended up in line behind the Duggars or the next episode of Extreme Couponing.
An hour and a half later we were out of there, and I was breathing a sigh of relief knowing I had an entire week before I had to do it again.
Now that Drew is here, I have adjusted my schedule some. He's not easy to take to the store, so now I go Tuesday nights after he goes to bed and Rob and I eat dinner. It. Is. Perfect. At 7:45 the store is close to empty, but there are still people waiting to slice my lunch meat in the deli (usually two! Meat and cheese sliced at the same time!) and 4 checkers patiently waiting for something to do. The food has been re-stocked from the weekend surge and everything is great. No elbowing people to get close to the broccoli crowns or anything!
So tonight, just as I was ready to downgrade my deep-rooted hatred of HEB to "strong dislike," I took a moment to review my receipt and realized I was charged for 12- TWELVE- cantaloupes. Has anyone in the history of the world ever purchased that many melons? Better yet, it rang up as "12 CT." Like they all came wrapped in cellophane.
So tomorrow I have to go BACK to HEB to explain that I came home with one $.76 cantaloupe, and I would like a refund for the other 11 that were not in my cart.
Because clearly, if I wanted a 12 pack of cantaloupes, I would have gone to Costco.
(Disclaimers: There is nothing wrong with bringing all 22 members of your immediate family to the grocery store or using $178 in coupons, unless I am standing behind you. Also, I am well aware I may be one of the 15 families on the cereal aisle one day soon.)
10, 8, 6, 4
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment