Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Drew's First Thanksgiving

I have no photographic evidence of Drew's first Thanksgiving. :(   Mom saw this post and sent me 3 pics off her IPhone!  Thanks mom!

Just like we did two years ago, we spent Thanksgiving at our tailgate with 40 of our closest (or not so close) friends and family.  It is a great way to spend the holiday-- very low stress, lots of yummy foods because everyone brings their favorites, no one has a pile of dishes to clean up at the end of the day.  Lots of fun.

However, Austin was hit by sub-Arctic temps RIGHT as we made our way to the tailgate.  We had all checked the weather which indicated it was to be in the 60s until around game time, when it would get really cold.  So we all dressed for the 60s.  Except the weathermen guessed wrong again and the front rolled in early,  bring temps around 50 degrees and 15 mile an hour wind that left these Texas feeling like Thanksgiving was taking place on the Arctic tundra. 


Dad and Mike try to keep me warm as I eat my plate of food that is already cold.

All attempts at fashion went out the window as people tried to stay warm in any way they could.  I have fond memories of a favorite couple of mine who split up a pair of mittens and were keeping the other hand firmly in their pocket.  Or another lovely lady who chose to wear latex food service gloves on her hands the entire tailgate because some protection was better than nothing.  Everyone had dressed to show their colors (Yes, we had AGGIES at the tailgate, too (one of which was my brother).  Spirit of Thanksgiving.....), which were promptly covered by any piece of clothing that could be located.



I think the only one who stayed warm was Drew, since I kept putting layers in the diaper bag as I packed him up to go.  He was pretty bundled up, but couldn't have been cold because he stayed peacefully asleep outside the entire time.  At least one of us was warm.



I have a feeling the "tailgate Thanksgiving" tradition may be coming to an end after this year.  As our group of friends continues to get married and have kids, it is going to be harder and harder to justify spending Thanksgiving in the parking lot of the Erwin Center.  But it was a lot of fun while it lasted, and I'm glad Drew got to experience it, even if we don't have even one picture to show him.

2 comments:

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...

Aww, good times...will definitely be remembered. I looked at that picture of me bundled up and thought - what am I holding? Oh YEAH, it's DREW! Thanks for sharing your first Turkey Day tailgate with me, Drew!