Tuesday, November 30, 2010

So I've been M.I.A.

We are dealing with a bit of an... issue over here.  And no, it isn't the fact that my husband is proudly showing my son the Victoria's Secret fashion show.  And making him dance to Katy Perry.

It's reflux.  Or gas.  Or intolerance to the formula.  Or all three.  Or two of those three.  The problem is we don't know what it is.  All we know is when Drew gets hungry we need to put in ear plugs, settle down for an hour, and prepare to have formula spit all over the place.

The doctors initial diagnosis was reflux, which I think definitely has some part in this.  But that medicine only worked for about two days and now we are back to screaming in the middle of being fed.  So we go back tomorrow.  Hopefully we can track this down, because it is wearing on all of us.  I feel for Drew- it must suck to be hungry and need to eat, only to know that something is going to really hurt when you do.

Here's a snippet of a day in my life:

Minutes 1- Notice Drew is stirring.  Begin frantically putting together a bottle before he gets to hysterics.
Minutes 4- Put bottle in the bottle warmer.  Longest 3.5 minutes EVER.
Minutes 7.5- Run around house looking for the burp rag.  Like socks in a dryer, those things. They disappear into thin air.  Usually decide to just get a new one. 
Minutes 9-10: Make sure I have everything I need for the next hour at my finger tips. 
Minute 11- Bottle is IN!  Drew seems happy.
Minute 15- Bottle is out.  Drew is decidedly not happy.  Try to burp him and get a good burp.  Cross fingers that was the problem.
Minute 16- That was not the problem.  Still crying.  I'm wondering why I haven't cut his fingernails yet as he slices and dices my face and neck.  Try to burp him again.
Minute 18- No luck on the burping.  Put the paci in to try to calm him down.
Minute 21- He finally noticed the paci is there and settles down.
Minute 22- Contemplate how long I should let him suck on the paci before I remove it and try to replace it with the bottle.
Minute 25- Commence "Bait and switch" mission.
Minute 27- It WORKED! Hallelujah!!
Minute 28- Wait, no it didn't.
Minute 29- Back to the paci.
Minute 31- Still crying.  Put him upright over my shoulder.
Minute 36- He's asleep.  And yet mostly unfed.  But quiet.
Minute 40- Try to get him to eat again.  He takes the bottle, but doesn't seem happy about it.
Minute 45- Still eating.  Yay.
Minute 50- Done.  Amazing.  Seems happy to be burped.
Minute 55- Not happy to be removed from shoulder.  Leave him there.
Minute 65- Drew is asleep.  Try to move him to crib/swing/bouncy chair.  Wait- bad plan.  Not happy about that.  Let him go back to sleep on my shoulder.
Minute 80- Seems to be really asleep now.  Move him into swing.  It WORKED!  Run to kitchen to put away breakfast dishes/wash a bottle/put away toaster. 
Minute 85- Drew is crying.  Go to swing and quiet him.  Replace paci.  Try to reason with him that if he didn't spit it out he would be much happier.
Minute 90- Asleep again.  Run to bedroom to make bed and pick up 3 bottles from last night.
Minute 93- He's awake.  Replace paci.  Wonder how I ever thought I wouldn't give him a paci.
Minute 94-180- Turn on computer to send emails.  While it's booting up, start dishwasher and wash bottles.  That reminds me of the load of whites that have been in the washing machine wet for 2 days.  Go to put those in dryer.  Find a load of forgotten towels in the dryer.  Remove towels and fold.  Take them upstairs and trip over all the other stuff I've left on the stairs to take upstairs the next time I go up.  Spend some time taking things upstairs.  Locate missing burp rag on floor of office.  Take downstairs.  Let the dog out. Remember that I turned my computer on to send emails.  Actually send an email or two.

Repeat every 3 hours.  In the middle of the night replace minutes 95-180 with "attempt to go to sleep as quickly as possible."

So all of that to say is I haven't yet posted the "Hey Drew, You Are One Month Old" post yet, even though its written, because I haven't found time to download the pictures from my brothers SLR that I seem to have appropriated.

(Rob, I have the BEST idea for a Christmas gift for me.... and I know you read this).

My goal is to post it before I write the two month post.  And also to be better about writing.

No comments: