The Plan: Get up when Rob does (4:50- he is going to the airport). Do some bible study. Savor a cup of coffee. Make a grocery list. Enjoy quiet morning hours.
The Reality:
Bedtime- 4:25am- worst nights sleep ever, including a bathroom break every 1.5 hours, two times of trying to sleep sitting up because of heartburn, several minutes searching for tums in the dark, and 50 rounds of "throw covers off, it's hot. Dig for covers- its cold now."
4:25- Drew cries out. Probably just a moment of wakefulness. He will go back to sleep.
4:25:30- Sophie, asleep in the living room, gets up, shakes, and commences trying to break into our room by banging her head on the door, willing it to open (it's latched- no luck)
4:27- Sophie gives up and decides to go hang with Drew. Drew, who was going back to sleep, now hears his best friend and is awake. Wide awake.
4:28-4:40- Drew is awake and talking/crying. Apparently not going back to sleep.
4:41- I get up to gather dog to try to get the crying to stop. Find her standing sheepishly in the hall outside our door. Usher her in while mumbling about making her sleep outside.
4:42- I go upstairs and try to rock D back to sleep. It's working!
4:44- lay him in his bed.
4:44:02- he's up, crying, and wants to be held. Commence rocking.
4:48- lay him down again.
4:48:02- he's up. Tell him he must go back to sleep and leave him crying. I go back to bed.
4:49- Rob rolls over and declares himself not ready for a second child. Too bad, buddy.
4:50- Rob's alarm goes off, but everyone in this house is awake anyway.
4:51- I decide best plan of action is to bring D to my bed. I am too tired/huge to stand next I his crib and rock him for hours.
4:53-5:10- he lays quietly with me. Occasionally touching my face or reaching for my hand. All is forgiven- this is sweet and rare. Ellie begins an assault because her brothers feet are all up in her space. D seems confused.
5:11- Drew sits up and practices every vocabulary word he knows.
5:12- done laying down, Drew starts exploring the bed. I decide to let him. I don't care if he falls asleep with his rad at the bottom if he just GOES TO SLEEP.
5:23- it becomes apparent to me that D is not going to sleep in this bed. Return him to his own. He cries. Hand him a book (that he can't actually see) as a peace offering.
5:24- listen to him cry as I type this post.
5:49- post is done. House is quiet- he is asleep. Now I have to decide: back to sleep or start my morning?!
10, 8, 6, 4
5 years ago
1 comment:
Ugh. That is EXACTLY how a few of our nights were before CK made her debut. For real.
Post a Comment