Well, on October 1 I wrote
this post about how patience isn't my virtue. Now that my son arrived on October 18th, I know three things:
1. He is the exact duplicate of his father.
2. Except he has my hair color (for now)
3. He seems to have inherited the Fincher family "patience" gene
My water broke Monday morning at 1:45, but I spent the next 4 hours laying in bed alternatively convincing myself it was go time and then convincing myself that I had lost my mind. At 5:30 I decided that whether I was going to work or to the hospital I was going to take a shower first, so I did that, and called the nurse.
They asked me a bunch of questions and then asked how quickly I could be at the hospital. I told them 1 hour (I still needed to put makeup on!!) and they told me if it was going to take that long, just come to the office because it would be open.
The office confirmed my water broke and sent me across the street to the hospital. They started pitocin shortly after 9 since I wasn't having any legitimate contractions at that point. I went on like that until 11:30 or so, when I was MISERABLE and started asking and begging for the epidural. For those who left notes, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. I was happy to get over the needle to stop the pain. (The nurse later told me I was probably 6-7 cm dilated before I got the epidural, so I feel like a rockstar).
My parents showed up about 1PM so I visited with all of them (I was much, much nicer after the epidural) and then the went to eat something. Mom and Vicki came FLYING back upstairs when Eddie texted them that I was already at 9cm and about to start pushing.
The labor experience was pretty ordinary except for the vast array of differing opinions on hair color. As he was "coming down the chute" the nurses, doctor and Rob felt free to scream out any potential hair colors they saw. Which had them pretty evenly divided, and several of them changed their vote on each push. I was laughing so hard at one point I actually wasn't pushing at all. Probably not the most beneficial thing to happen in labor, but it was funny.
Drew was born at 4:12, weighing 6 pounds 11 ounces and 19.5 inches long. He is absolutely perfect in every way and I love being able to hold him!
2 comments:
Congratulations!!! Glad everything went well and that mommy and baby are doing well :)
Congratulations! I am so happy for you guys and can't wait to read more as you guys take Drew home and get accustomed to being parents! I love reading your blog!
Post a Comment