One upon a time there was a girl (me) who peed (sorry mom, I know you hate when I write with the word "pee," but it is necessary here!) on a stick and saw two blue lines, which meant she was pregnant. She called the doctor to make an appointment and came in 2 weeks later to figure out what the next 9 months of her life would look like.
(Sidenote- Phone staff at an OB/GYN's office should be trained to say "Congrats!" when you call to make an appointment because you are pregnant. It was the first time I "told" anyone, and she reacted like she hears it all the time. Which she probably does. But I didn't get to tell people all the time. A little enthusiasm would have gone a long way.)
After the appointment, they sent said girl to the lab to have all the bloodwork done. Said girl, knowing her reaction to needles, brought her husband back with the phlebotomist (I just wanted to use that word). Good thing, too, because after the blood was drawn said girl passed out cold and hit the floor in the hallway while wearing heels and a skirt. Not her proudest moment, but not uncommon.
Fast forward 31 weeks. Now it's time for that same girl to be taking childbirth classes. They are going rather well until the nurse starts talking about IVs, epidurals, and C-Sections. That girl is basically sitting curled up in her chair with her arms clinched across her growing belly, protecting her inner arms. And seeing a few stars. And reading a magazine during the movies that depict these things. And feeling bad for making fun of all the "granola" women in Austin who choose to have their baby in a blow up pool in their living room. Because that idea is looking better and better.
So this long post is just to say I am SERIOUSLY considering having this baby au naturale. I'm not anti-meds, just anti-cutting-open-my-body. If I could get an epidural through wearing a gas mask like they used to give you at the dentist, I would totally do it. No promises- if pain gets too bad I may decide to get over my fear of needles for a moment, but for now I'm considering writing a birth plan....
10, 8, 6, 4
5 years ago
2 comments:
"Protecting her inner arms" - finally, someone else who does that when she thinks of needles! Glad I'm not the only one who gets so freaked out. I kind of don't want anyone to tell me anything about the actual labor and delivery, because then I will just want to back out!
You are too cute!! Whatever you decide to do will be great! But speaking from experience, the epidural honestly was NOTHING compared to my contractions- and since I couldnt see them poking me it wasnt nearly as bad as having my blood drawn!! Good luck!!
Post a Comment