One of my good friends claims that one of her interests is "taking up and quitting new hobbies at a record pace." And I kind of feel that way too, which is why I haven't said anything on the blog about this yet. But I'm almost 5 weeks in, so I feel committed.
A recent newest internet sensations in the workout arena has been a running plan called Couch to 5k (C25k). Great idea, no? A plan that takes you from couch potato to running a 5k in 8 weeks. The problem is I have started this plan no less than 3 times in the past, and never made it through week 2. I have this habit when it comes to work out plans (See also "Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, where I never made it past day 4).
So I started it up a couple of weeks ago, and with the exception of a week where everything was green with pollen and I was feeling bad, I've stuck with it and will complete week 5 tomorrow. The work out slated for tomorrow is "Warm up for 5 minutes. Run for 20 minutes. Cool down for 5 minutes." I may die.
But the reason I am staying on this plan (and then hope to do the accompanying "Bridge to 10k" plan) is that I have signed up for the See Jane Run half marathon October 9th. That's the "crazy" part of the title of this post. Like I tell people, I've always wanted to be a runner. They talk about this 'stride' they hit where they can run for miles and miles and not even realize they are working out. I WANT that. I've never gotten there- generally I spend most of my work out time looking at my watch and wondering when it will be over. Also, runners have really good bodies. I want that, too.
So when a few friends of mine decided to do the See Jane Run half, and I realized it was far enough out that I could feasibly accomplish getting prepared for it, I jumped on the opportunity. And honestly, I'm kind of excited about it!
I am also excited about what I'm going to do today-- go get fitted for a new pair of running shoes. Because let's be honest, the best part about taking up a new hobby is buying all the new supplies.
10, 8, 6, 4
5 years ago
1 comment:
You can do it! Meanwhile, I will continue just walking around the block for now :)
Post a Comment