Thursday, June 9, 2011

Toys!

Today I noticed a new emotion in my child- boredom.  So many of the toys we have are really just brightly colored things to rattle or chew on, which, apparently, aren't cutting it anymore.  He sits in the exersaucer and stares out the window instead of playing with anything in front of him.  The walker, which has a whole table to play music, has now just turned into a vessel to pull the dish rag down from the oven handle or tug on the curtains. 

I'm trying to be intentional in the toys that I buy for Drew.  I really would prefer to not give my nest egg to Duracell or Energizer, and I'm not sure how I can one day convince Drew that playing outside really is fun when everything he has ever had lights up/sings/moves for him.

I ended up purchasing a shape sorter (he won't be able to sort for awhile, but it's something new), a toy where you push/pull/turn buttons and things pop up, some textured balls and a car that he can push that has balls that "pop" inside.  No batteries.  Nothing special.  Mostly stuff I had as a kid.

I'm not going to be one of those parents who insists on classic, wooden toys painted with lead free paint.  I know Drew will get plenty of crazy toys from grandparents, friends and family.  But I figure why add to that?

So friends with kiddos older than mine, do you have any recommendations?

2 comments:

Courtney Squillante said...

Ok, so Jay LOVES toys. He probably loves them because we have a million of them- thank you older siblings with kids that are too old! Anyway, his absolutel FAVORITE toy is this one http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Crawl-Cruise-Musical-Jungle/dp/B0015KTUKK

And I'm like you, I totally don't even turn on the musical/lights part of most of our toys. I still want him to be creative and be able to pretend play and all that. But, the toy above is good with the sound on because when they do something correctly, it makes a sound so that they get positive feedback (thank you child development college class 101). Anyway, he has loved it from four months old when he could barely sit and I would send the balls down the ramp, and now he stands on it, cruises on it, puts the balls down the ramp, looks in the mirror, plays with the butterflies, etc...

It's by far our favorite!!!

I will think of more that we love!

Courtney Squillante said...

Sorry to post again, but I thought of another...

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Laugh-Learn-Learning/dp/B004717NNU/ref=sr_1_4?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1307723867&sr=1-4


Ok, I will stop taking over your comments.. :)